Thursday, October 9, 2008

I have become a political activist!

After years and years of being very opinionated regarding politics and other things of national interest, I have officially stepped into the ring and am about to start throwing Laura-sized punches.

About 8 years ago, 61% of the state of CA voted for marriage to be defined as between man and woman. That meant that same sex marriage was illegal, although gay domestic partners still received all the same rights that married partners get (joint tax filing, legal rights in wills, hospital visitation and decision making in emergencies, etc.) It was a huge victory for those of us interested in protecting the traditional family. 3 months ago, 4 San Francisco based judges decided that this law, that the people voted in, was unconstitutional, and it was abolished. Which now makes it legal to marry a dog, in the state of CA, if you really wanted to...give me a break, the institution of marriage HAS to mean more than this!
In November, there will be a new proposition in response to this miscarriage of justice. Proposition 8 is the same 14 words that CA voters approved before, but this time it's put into our state constitution: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in CA." Vote "yes" on Prop. 8!!!

Why do I feel strongly enough about this that I am going door-to-door to get the word out? Because in the course of my life, both in University (where I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Human Development) and as a mother, I have read literally hundreds of scientific studies that proved that children have the very best chance in life if they live in a two-parent family, with both sexes present. It just makes sense - yin and yang, balancing each other out. I can see society falling apart, and I am certain that the disintegration of the family unit is a very basic part of this.
In addition, it infuriates me that 4 judges can overturn the will of the people. This issue has already been voted on. The voters have already spoken. We shouldn't have to do this again. Do we live in a democracy or not?

If you are not a CA resident, don't think you're off the hook. If our state is voting on this, yours will follow. Please visit ProtectMarriage.com and educate yourself on this issue. And send money!!! I am. Although I didn't live in CA at the time of the previous vote on this issue, I sent money then. It was my way of taking part in this battle to save traditional family values. The other side has been yelling so loudly for a lot of years on this subject. I think it is about time we started being heard. And I want my kids to see me standing for something!

No comments: